True Story


Today I have a true story. It is about how I developed the concept for my brand True Stories co. It came about as a tongue-in-cheek response to a painful situation. Humor is my antidote to life. When I was a child, I hated Christmas or birthdays or back-to-school times. Because the kids were always comparing all the latest and greatest gadgets and name brand clothes they got. And I was always on the outside of that conversation. We were poor. We couldn't get designer clothes or fun toys. That's what being marginalized or disenfranchised is. An inability to be able to fully acclimate into society because the means to do so is seemingly out of reach.

This example may be about something 'trivial' like clothes, but, it carries over to all social issues. People feel shame and excluded from being able to participate fully in life because they lack. I came to hate lack and exclusion and POVERTY. Poverty and lack carry such awful stigma. Sometimes, we spend our entire lives trying to hide or cover up our perceived deficiencies. True Stories is about changing the narrative. About real talk. About not being ashamed of who you are or where you come from. It is about finding yourself where you are. And embracing YOU in that place. 

How often have you been driving down the road and you see someone with a bumper sticker that reads, "My child is an honor student at St. Bart's Middle School." Or, "My child is a graduate of Harvard."  Well, True Stories is about me being proud of who I am. Of what I endured. Of what I overcame. It is about living authentically. And, it is about whether YOU are being proud of you. Wherever you are. True Stories is a brand whose message is simple: Authentic Living. Real Talk. It is about freedom. Personal freedom-- from whatever you are enslaved by. Drugs. Self-doubt. POW.  

Last September my son John went to prison. San Quentin. I was sad and shocked. I thought Steven would be the one. So, did all of us. My mother was murdered when I was 2. I don't know what it is like to have a mother. But I know what it is like to be a mother, and gosh we love our children. It's so hard to be a parent. We pride ourselves on the successes of our children, and blame ourselves for their failures. But, our children are their own people.  They own their successes and failures. There is a lot of suffering in this world. But life is a beautiful place. True Stories is about rewriting the script. One life at a time.

Until next time,

Ruth xo



      1 Brand. 9 Departments. Tons of goodies. | Model Inmate Collection | off-the-cuffs. Label.

True Story True Story Reviewed by Ruth Hochman on July 16, 2017 Rating: 5

No comments:

National Security Issues: No. 2

Hypotheses: Political Sanctuary is a threat to national security because it undermines the American civic process and the intrinsic v...